Welcome to the Chevy Camaro Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Chevy Camaro Forum > Camaro Generations > 5th Gen

5th Gen 2010 - ???? - The Camaro is back from a long time off. Lets talk about the newest 5th Camaro here.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

theholycow

Question Changing the transmission
When I do get the V6 manual Camaro I mentioned in my clutch thread, I'm probably going to want to change out the transmission, at least in favor the the manual transmission from the SS which has taller gears and longer ratios.

How hard will it be to do?

How much trouble is it to find different gears that will fit an existing transmission if I just wanted to change one or two gears out?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #2

Shaggy
Administrator

You getting a v6 Holy??
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #3

theholycow

I'm getting nothing. When I do eventually get one, it will almost certainly be the v6. I'm just not in a hurry like I used to be, and 60mph in under 7 seconds is way more power than I ever use anymore....I just never use my brakes either, so I fly around curves at whatever speed I was going.

And I hate buzzing down the highway at unnecessarily high RPM.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #4

RALLY YELLOW-SS-RS

you should test drive the SS. Unless you want a look alike sports car....a v6 will only be good if you Jay Leno'ed it and twin turbo'ed it. Other than that...well, why the heck would you want it? Because it looks fast?
RALLY YELLOW-SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #5

theholycow

I haven't been checking in here often, trying not to tantalize myself anymore with a car I can't have. Anyway, the V6 would be right for me because:
- RWD
- Manual transmission
- American (kinda)
- Decently big
- Decent fuel economy
- Great handling
- Way faster than anything I've ever driven before
- Ridiculously faster than any driving I do...seriously I can't afford speeding tickets and insurance hikes so I obey the speed limit, don't accelerate hard, etc.

Actually, how it looks deters me from wanting it...I really don't want to attract attention (refer back to my opinion on how fast it is).

To give you an idea of how slow I drive, my current daily driver is only a few hundred pounds lighter than the V6 Camaro and had 120hp when it was brand new in 1980, but the carburetor is rotten and it is really missing a lot of that power. Once in a while I get annoyed but usually it's plenty for me.