Welcome to the Chevy Camaro Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   Chevy Camaro Forum > Camaro Generations > 2nd Gen

2nd Gen 1970 - 1981 - The next generation of Camaros, the 2nd Gen. Post what you like abou them here!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #1

Shaggy
Administrator

Holy crap that is nice. You got it when it was 2 years old? Wow!
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
1971BB427

Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Holy crap that is nice. You got it when it was 2 years old? Wow!
Thanks! Yes, got it when I was home on leave from the Air Force. Talked my dad into cosigning for me, as I had zero credit back then. Told him if he would cosign I would keep it "forever"! Of course I was lying through my teeth, but somehow it's still around.
I think I've kept it because I really loved the car when I first saw a 1970 Z28 that my best friend bought, and told myself I wanted one too. When I spotted the SS396 on a car lot, and found out it had a 427 swapped into it, I knew I really wanted it!
Well here it is 37 years later, and I still enjoy the car as much as I did in 1973!
1971BB427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #3

theholycow

Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Told him if he would cosign I would keep it "forever"! Of course I was lying through my teeth, but somehow it's still around.
That's awesome.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
1971BB427

Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
That's awesome.

Thanks! I had my first accident in it last June. I was beginning a rebuild resto when some idiot jumped in front of me and slammed on the brakes. Didn't do much damage, but it did require one front fender and the header panel.
Of course my minor resto turned into a complete redo of the body including the OER 3.75" cowl hood, and the GM stealth gray pearl paint with black pearl SS stripes. Then new interior, thorough cleaning underneath and repaint there too. New tires identical to what was there, and on the same rims I had custom built about 10 yrs. before!
Still changing things almost every week, as I find some little things I can improve on all the time! My latest was to build a new set of traction bars and ditch the old slapper bars I'd put on there in 1974!
Here's what I built:

They work much better hooking up, yet give a softer ride and better cornering.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #5

theholycow

Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I've never seen a vehicle underside that clean and free of corrosion.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
1971BB427

Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I've never seen a vehicle underside that clean and free of corrosion.
The lack of corrosion is free here in Oregon! We don't salt the roads, so no rust and corrosion problems. My car has always been garaged for the last 30 yrs. so I have zero rust.
The clean part is just elbow grease, and it's actually dirty compared to when I finished brushing and scraping before I painted the underside. I drive it a lot, and I'm not spending all my time cleaning underneath it. Once a year I jack it up on jackstands so I can pressure wash the underbelly. That's it for the rest the year.